So everyone feels welcome and so we know who you are, please register every child in your household ages 0-12th grade here.
Sunday Mornings (Grades 7 – 8)
On most Sundays, youth in Grades 7 and 8 will be in ministry with Faith Builders (K-6) as “Faith Friends.” They will start these Sundays in worship with their family, then leave the sanctuary with the Faith Builders. We will spend some time with them on their own, getting them ready to help out with our Faith Builders ministry and taking a deeper dive into the scripture used in Faith Builders. This will be a great opportunity for them to bond TOGETHER and show leadership, responsibility, and most importantly, hospitality and love to our younger children.
Confirmation (Grade 9)
In order to accommodate all of the incredible scheduling pressures our youth have on their time, we have opted for the following model.
- On the first Sunday of the Month (usually), confirmands will either assist in Worship or sit together in worship and work on worship notes. Confirmands assisting in worship will also help with Communion! Afterwards, they will spend about 15 minutes with the preacher talking about the service and the preacher’s sermon.
- One OTHER Sunday a month, we will have Confirmation Classes DIRECTLY AFTER SERVICE (11:30am – 1:00pm). These will be themed sessions and include opportunities for parents to come and “remember their baptism” as well.
- The classdates we are currently working with are: 9/29, 10/13, 11/10, 1/12, 2/9, 3/8, and 4/19.
- The date for Confirmation rehearsal is 4/26/20, and the official confirmation ceremony is on 5/3/20.
More information will be coming. We have created a Google Confirmation Calendar for you to access that includes all of the above dates, plus those of the in worship dates.
Youth Night (Grades 7-12)
Youth night runs most Sunday Evenings from 4:00 to 6:00pm. (Calendar for that is here)
This year, as Confirmation is NOT in the evening, our plan is to have much more flexibility in our programming. There will be more traditional evenings with a similar format to last year (Food/Games/Small Groups/Worship) but there will be more “Special” evenings with a more “Mission and Mayhem” style to it. We will be trying some cool things out and I really hope your youth (and their friends!) can be a part of it!
For more info on any of the above programs, contact Pastor Cindy Yanchury,
Minister of Faith Formation, 651.454.3944 or email Advent.
Follow us on Facebook: Advent UMC Youth
Here are some dates to keep in mind. They ARE on the calendar.
- This is a “fun, loving, and inclusive event for youth of all orientations and identities in the name of Christ” put on by a good friend of mine at Lake Harriet UMC in Minneapolis.
- Instagram: @reyounitemn
- This year’s speaker is JJ Warren.
- Cost is $20/person (Scholarships available). Other details will follow.
Mission trip 2020
(Open for youth going into grade 9 and up!)
- All I have right now is the date. Please remember that I have to plan around a TONNE of things that are not in my control!
- July 25-August 1st. The assumption right now is that we will leave Saturday and come back Saturday. Depending on how far we go, there *may* be a possibility of leaving on Friday but that is NOT the plan, right now.
Advent had 12 people attend “The Event”-a United Methodist Conference Youth retreat the weekend of Nov. 1, 2019, in St. Cloud. See photos from “The Event” on our Facebook page.
Advent Youth Mission Trip
More that 19 Advent Youth (Grade 9 up to graduating seniors) and six adult partners traveled to Marvell, Arkansas, July 20-28, 2019. Our mission was to see what God was doing in Marvell.
By seeing what Christ is doing in the world, by participating with God in bringing the Kingdom of God a little closer to us, we are further transformed into disciples of Jesus. Our Christian senses are awakened to the possibilities in the world and even at home. We return home changed. And, yes, we can feel a sense of satisfaction over the work we have done. And, yes, we now can have deeper friendships with the people we went with.
We returned with our hearts strangely warmed and our eyes pried open to the movement of Christ all around us. Maybe then, we can continue Christ’s work in a world starving for compassion and justice.
See more photos from the Advent Youth Mission Trip July 22-27 in Marvell, AR, on the Advent UMC Youth Facebook page.
Our youth also help with Vacation Bible School. They are challenging us all to be involved, to share what we have with others.